ERO Resources Corporation, an environmental consulting firm headquartered in Denver, Colorado, is seeking a full-time Biologist, with Botany expertise, for our Durango office. We are a team of natural and cultural resource consultants with offices in Denver, Durango, and Hotchkiss, Colorado. Our expertise in science and planning provides an approach to the environment that balances development with natural and cultural resources protection.
Job Title: Biologist II: Specialization in Botany
Salary Range: $24 -28/hr. Full-Time to Part-time, Hourly
Office Location: Durango, Colorado
This position is for a biologist/botanist and will support new and existing natural resource projects based out of our Durango and/or Hotchkiss office. Primary duties will include delineating wetlands, identifying vegetation communities, and conducting Clean Water Act Section 404 permitting. Depending on experience, other duties could include Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act compliance, restoration planning, rare plant surveys, and other environmental planning and management services.
Minimum Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in ecology, biology, natural resources, or a similar discipline; and
· Three years of experience conducting biological investigations and wetland delineations, identifying vegetation communities, and assisting with environmental regulation compliance in the Rocky Mountain Region
Performance Expectations and Responsibilities
· Familiarity with Clean Water Act Section 404 permitting, including functional wetland assessments, and Endangered Species Act compliance
· Complete wetland delineations independently, including categorization of wetland resources to Cowardin class
· Accurately recognize and identify plants during fieldwork
· Familiarity with other biological resources and desire to learn
· Comfort working independently or in teams in remote landscapes
· Independently collect necessary digital data and prepare field equipment
· Perform detailed data analysis and complete legally defensible documents; specifically, wetland delineation reports and permitting documentation such as pre-construction notifications
· Comfort coordinating with clients to determine impacts to wetlands or other resources (assisted by senior staff)
· Participate in business development activities (with new or existing clients) such as proposals and scopes of work
· Travel throughout the western U.S. for projects will be required. Travel from April through August may be up to 50%, with occasional travel the remainder of the year. The candidate must maintain reliable transportation for travel to and from project sites, and successfully navigate to/from field sites. Company vehicles may be available.
· Must be able to work variable hours, long days, early mornings, and weekends, fieldwork schedule dependent. Overtime may occur and will be compensated at time and a half.
· Effectively communicate with GIS staff to coordinate maps and locational information
· Meet deadlines and hours per task targets as required by project budgets.
· Periodic driving of ERO work vehicles, 4WD experience preferred
Skills and Abilities
· Prior completion of an approved wetland delineation course
· Physical stamina to perform strenuous fieldwork, carry a minimum of 25 pounds, hike more than 3 miles in a day over rough terrain, and work in adverse weather conditions
· Professionalism, integrity, and comfort working with people are of the utmost importance as the position requires regular contact with clients, engineers, and regulators
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products and Adobe Acrobat
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or as part of a team
· Effective communication skills – written and verbal
· Organized, detail oriented
· Proven ability to handle multiple priorities
· Ability to collaborate with field teams and cross-functional teams throughout the company
If you are qualified for this position in ERO’s Durango office, please email a cover letter with hourly rate expectations, resume describing your education and experience, and how you heard about the job posting to opportunities by May 13, 2019. Adobe pdf format is preferred. No phone inquiries please; you will receive an email notifying you that ERO has received your application. Only potential candidates will be contacted for interviews. Applicants selected for interviews will be asked to provide at least three references and two writing samples.
Successful candidates may be required to submit to a drug test and background check after the interview process is complete. ERO participates in e-verify and preemployment background screening services. ERO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans to apply. For more information about ERO, please visit our website at www.eroresources.com.
303.830.1188 O | www.eroresources.com