Cal-Wood Education Center is hiring a fire restoration specialist to help us restore 600 acres burned last October. Can you please forward this job information to anybody interested. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for your help,
Rafael Salgado, Executive Director
303.449.0603 x # 3
Wildfire Ecological Restoration Specialist/Outdoor Science Instructor
Cal-Wood Education Center
Cal-Wood Education Center is hiring a full-time fire restoration specialist/science instructor to work with our team to conduct year-round fire restoration projects and teach students about science and nature. Our center is located 30 minutes northwest of Boulder Colorado on a 1,200-acre forest. Cal-Wood has been providing outdoor/science programs to the Front Range schools for over 38 years as well as hosting summer camps and Latino family programs. On October 17th, 2020, the Calwood fire burned half of our property leaving us with a huge task of fire restoration.
- Working with our Natural Resources Manager on restoring the burned area by creating work plans and partnering with other agencies on these plans.
- Coordinating and working with contractors and volunteer groups of all ages.
- Help with opening Cal-Wood to the research community to study wildfires, fire restoration and fire mitigation. We hope to partner with universities and conservation organizations and serve as a training site for firefighters, private land owners and any other organizations.
- Other tasks associated with natural resources managing and wildfire recovery efforts
- Help our Education Director in incorporating natural resources research projects into our regular school programs
- Half of the time of this position will be part of our environmental education team during the school year. The instructors are responsible for providing a fun and educational experience for a learning group made up of 10-15 students during each school’s visit. Typical programs are three-day / two-night programs with 4th – 6th graders. We provide access to dynamic, hands-on science education in the field to students from all different backgrounds.
- A love of the outdoors and a strong interest in outdoor physical labor and outdoor education
- A degree in the natural sciences or fields like forestry, biology, environmental science, natural resource management, botany, ecology, conservation
- Prior experience/skills of ecological rehabilitation and restoration
- Prior experience/skills of basic GIS and GPS
- Ability to use power tools, including chain saws, brush cutters, and other power tools following completion of appropriate training
- Experience teaching science in the outdoors to youth and/or adults
- Experience working with volunteers and coordinating volunteer days
- Strong work ethic and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Reasonably good physical condition, with the ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and hike between 1 to 4 miles
- Ability to work outside under adverse weather conditions
- Familiarity with and ability to identify Colorado flora and fauna
- Familiarity with setting up natural research projects
- Familiarity with different teaching techniques
- Familiar with designing, teaching, and evaluating education programs in accordance with local curriculum standards.
- Spanish ability is highly desired, but not mandatory
- First Aid/CPR knowledge or willingness to get certified required. Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certifications a plus.
- Comfort with and ability to speak and interact with the public
Terms of Employment:
- Full-time for a year with good a possibility of continuing for more years
- Approximately 40 hours/week
- Working with volunteer will require to work on some weekends
- Working with educational programs for families will require to work on few weekend
- Basic housing and some food may be available as part of the job offer
- $15.00 to $17.00 per hour depending on experience
- Housing and some meals during the school programs (if housing is not needed, compensation is higher)
- After two full months of employment, employees qualify for medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
Position Start Date: As soon as possible. We will delete this add as soon as we hire someone.
How to Apply:
- Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to angie. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Candidates may be asked for a virtual or/and in person interview.
- Visit www.calwood.org to learn more about who we are and what we do.