Job Announcement: Outreach and Education Manager
The High Plains Environmental Center (HPEC) is a non-profit 501(c)3 located in Loveland, CO. The center consists of 76 acres and 3.5 miles of trails surrounding two lakes in a rapidly developing area. HPEC maintains a unique collaborative relationship with McWhinney, the developer of Centerra, a 3000 acre master-planned community, where HPEC is located. As a result of the collaboration between HPEC, the developer, and the local business and residential community, Centerra was certified as Colorado’s first Wildlife Habitat Community by the National Wildlife Federation. HPEC’s ultimate goal is to change, on the national scale, the way communities are designed and built by including nature as a stakeholder and “restoring nature where we live,work, and play”.
The High Plains Environmental Center works to educate communities to become replicable “living laboratories” which demonstrate restorative examples of land stewardship, native plants, and wildlife habitat.
Job Purpose: To promote awareness of HPEC mission through public programming
Job Specific Details:
- Develop classes, programming, volunteer projects, and other events for various audiences
- Lead, co-lead, or assist in outreach programs (e.g High Plains School project based learning (PBL), Ecology Club)
- Engage partner organizations in creating, hosting, and facilitating programming, volunteer projects, and other events
- Schedule HPEC classes, events, and programs
- Create and manage Eventbrite listings for the classes, events and programs
- Prepare for and attend bird walks at HPEC and Chapungu as HPEC representative
- Create and post educational, engaging, and informative content on Facebook multiple times a week
- Create and submit advertising for HPEC nursery, and other needs
- Create and submit press releases
- Monitor press, and posts/mentions made by others regarding HPEC
- Prepare for and facilitate community garden through emails, orientation meetings and events
- Track inventory of outreach materials and reprint as needed
- Create monthly newsletter
- Create flier/posters for interpretive walks, bird walks and other programs
- Maintain kiosks, posting fliers, and filling up pamphlet bins
- Pursue small grants for program related purposes
- Facilitate volunteer signups and internships
- Maintain databases, mailing list, blog posts and newsletter/volunteer signups
- Assist executive director in administrative tasks as needed
Special requirements: Programs may require work hours on Saturdays and evenings as needed. May be required to drive to meeting locations in Northern Colorado.
Behavioral Traits and Attitudes: The HPEC Outreach Manager must possess strong instincts for collaboration, and be outgoing, approachable, and engaging while maintaining clear boundaries with visitors, neighbors, partners, and program participants.
Job Inter-Relationships: The HPEC Outreach Manager reports to the executive director and interacts with HPEC staff and board, neighbors and HOAs, community gardeners, McWhinney and their marketing and community program consultants, visitors, program participants, partner organizations, and the general public.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in fields related to communications and environmental leadership. Excellent written and verbal communication skills essential. Ability to work with and lead education activities for children and adults.
Knowledge and skills: Technological proficiency in programs such as Facebook, WordPress, Eventbrite, Canva. Knowledge of horticulture, biology, ecology, public engagement in conservation, and environmental issues a plus.
Position: Full time – Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position includes full benefits including paid vacation and sick leave; holidays; and group health insurance.
Employees meeting certain tenure requirements are eligible to participate in HPEC’s SIMPLE IRA retirement plan including employer contributions of up to 3% to match the employee’s contributions to the plan.
Applicants please send resume and a brief cover letter to:
High Plains Environmental Center – Attn: Jim Tolstrup
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $37,440.00 – $45,760.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In Person – 2698 Bluestem Willow Drive Loveland, CO
Executive Director, High Plains Environmental Center2698 Bluestem Willow Drive.
Loveland CO 80538
Cell (970) 672- 7862
Author of, SUBURBITAT: Restoring nature where we live, work, and play
Available on Amazon