Hello COSA community! We are at the starting point to create a trail ambassador program for our open space and trails in Castle Rock. We do not have a Park Ranger program but we do have a very robust trail maintenance volunteer program and lots of interested volunteers in general, so this program would expand our volunteer opportunities with “meet and greet” ambassadors that will not have enforcement capabilities. We are hoping to collect background information from other agencies on their own trail ambassador program, or lack of one if that’s the case.
If you have a moment, we would love to hear about your agency’s trail ambassador program. Here are our background information questions:
- Do you have a trail ambassador program, and if so, how long has it been in use?
- If you do not have a trail ambassador program, why not and how do you manage visitor customer service, education and outreach?
- Do you have a Park Ranger program in addition to or in place of a trail ambassador program?
- Do your ambassadors hike the trails or remain at the trailhead?
- Is your trail ambassador program managed by Park Rangers or other staff?
- Have there been any significant challenges for your program?
- Have you been asked to quantify the benefits of a trail ambassador program for budgeting or general departmental review?
- If you have a trail ambassador program, would you be open to additional questions (costs, annual budget, training, etc.) or assistance to help us get our program off the ground?
I realize that we are asking for a lot of background information; if you’d prefer to call me or set up a zoom meeting if you have the time, we’d be open and appreciative to that! Thank you in advance for any answers to these questions or any other advice/suggestions you would like to share!
Barbara Spagnuolo | Natural Resource Specialist
Town of Castle Rock | Parks and Recreation Department
1375 W. Plum Creek Parkway | Castle Rock, CO 80109
direct 720.733.2294 | cell 303.472.6986 | bspagnuolo