Maintenance Person III – Natural Lands
$16.50 – $26.39 Hourly
Full-Time, Year-Round, Standard with Benefits
4/16/2017 11:59 PM Mountain
Overall Job Objective
Under limited supervision, maintains the health, safety and aesthetics of natural areas throughout the Parks and Recreation system. Performs natural resource related maintenance and operations on City of Boulder Parks and Recreation natural lands including staff collaboration, project completion and program assistance. Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the areas of natural lands maintenance, Integrated Pest Management (IPM), wildlife management and equipment operation, and performs related duties as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Performs as a team member by collaborating to perform technical and mostly field based natural lands functions including the noxious weed IPM projects, natural lands maintenance and wildlife management activities across the Parks & Recreation system to ensure safe and efficient operations, including the following:
• Facilitates good communication with co-workers, supervisors and the public.
• Coordinates with supervisor to set work schedules and daily priorities.
• Implements best management practices for the removal of noxious weeds by utilizing assorted mechanical methods (digging, hand pulling, whipping, tractor and mower operation, etc.), chemical control (backpack and UTV spraying, wicking, etc.), cultural practices (planting, burning, etc.), and assists with biological control (insects, animals)
• Performs and/or coordinates prairie dog management tasks including surveys, colony monitoring, mapping, installing and maintaining barriers and potentially trapping and relocation.
• Utilizes GIS, GPS, and tablet technologies to collect field data and use ArcGIS platform to add and manage data in established databases and creation of maps. Works with GIS staff to implement data into overall system.
• Performs and/or coordinates restoration projects such as native seed collection, re-seeding, mitigation work and wildlife habitat enhancements
• Performs and assists with research, monitoring, and data collection associated with various natural land management tasks (IPM, wildlife, etc.), data entry and preparing of scientific reports
• Coordination of projects related to and field oversight of seasonal employees, youth corps, jail crew and volunteers; performs public environmental education and outreach programs
• Performs and/or coordinates regular maintenance and creation of natural lands and park infrastructure such as fencing, trails, restroom amenities, trash receptacles, signs, and other light construction
• Performs various urban wildlife management tasks including surveys, addressing wildlife concerns for projects, assisting with closures and adhering to best management practices
• Assists with data management and makes recommendations for program and project improvements
• Makes decisions pertaining to tasks in the field without direct supervision
• Trains and oversees daily work of seasonal staff in program and project activities
• Maintains records of work performed and resources utilized, spends funds appropriately and reports costs and needs to supervisor.
• Successfully integrates into the Natural Lands work group as one of the team members
• Ensures that resource conservation techniques are implemented throughout work responsibilities (recycling, composting, air and water quality protection)
• Performs emergency response work for the city that may include; tree damage, flood response and recovery, and other emergencies
For the full job description and to apply, please visit:
and be sure to look for the Maintenance Person III Natural Lands job description in the Parks and Recreation department listings.
Boulder Parks & Recreation
3198 Broadway | Boulder, CO 80304