HANDS-ON LABS JOB POSTING
Please submit resume to Rick Carmichael rick.carmichael. Applicants MUST have a science degree. MS or PhD preferred.
Job Title: Science Laboratory Curriculum & Product Developer
Reports To: Research and Development Manager
Department: Research and Development
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
At Hands-On Labs, Inc. (HOL), a Science Laboratory Curriculum & Product Developer is a scientist who develops laboratory experiences, curricula, and products that support the academic requirements of secondary and post-secondary science courses. This individual designs, develops, enriches, and supports all sales and production facets of the experiments contained in HOL products, called s, which provide wet science lab experiences in support of educational institutions’ science courses, primarly online science courses. This position works collaboratively within a team of science colleagues, clients, and HOL’s Sales, Production, and Documentation teams to develop, write, produce, and confirm challenging and effective science experiments that engage students, meet traditional academic learning objectives, and can be safely and successfully conducted at home.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Design and develop all components for online science lab experiences that address the curriculum requirements of HOL’s clients (universities, colleges, post-secondary programs) within HOL safety guidelines and product development parameters.
· Review, update, and improve science experiments, including revising lab manuals as needed on HOL’s digital delivery platform.
· Write textual content for new experiments including compelling and relevant background information and precise instructions in accordance with standardized formats.
· Test, evaluate, re-evaluate, and modify existing components regarding textual content, directions, and physical supplies used.
· Work with teams to provide product information and content elements for use in beta testing, product collateral, presentations, videos, website, electronic communication tools, and other related sales efforts.
· Write internal scientific blog and social media content/postings plus sales webinar scripts on products
· Research and identify experiments that match syllabi to customize current products.
· Integrate product line with science curriculum for students, administrators, and professors.
· Advise and assist Purchasing and Production staff in the sourcing of material supplies for new experiments.
· Train Sales team on key elements of products to facilitate selling process.
· Compile test bank questions for experiments.
· Write educational content for online sciences courses across all major science disciplines.
· Work directly with students, science educators, and administrators to address their specific needs.
· Work with Sales, Marketing, and Operations teams to assess the feasibility of customization requests.
· Contribute to product development projects from initiation to completion to ensure new or revised products meet HOL’s quality goals as well as customer needs.
· Develop and deliver professional presentations at client and educational conferences.
· Provide a broad range of science support functions throughout HOL.
· Practice, promote, and ensure adherence to all company policies, procedures, and codes of business ethics.
· Dotted line supervision of Science Research Assistant.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and personal qualities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
· MS degree or higher in General, Physical, Biological, Chemistry and/or Health Sciences with substantial familiarity with additional lab sciences. PhD preferred.
· 2-5 years’ experience in teaching lab science courses and creating, modifying, and/or supervising laboratory experimentation activities at the college level.
· Proficiency in science laboratory practices and procedures.
· Experience in educational needs analysis and curriculum design at an accredited institution.
· Knowledge and understanding of instructional design and learning architecture.
· Experience in the design of educational materials.
· Proficiency with computer software and web applications normally used by educators, including but not limited to MS Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Web Browsers, Adobe InDesign, SharePoint, and online learning management system platforms and tools.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to interface with coworkers, college and university educators, academic administrators, and potential clients.
· Effective critical thinking and problem solving skills with an eye for creating unique solutions and internal efficiencies.
· Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking abilities with a keen attention to details and the ability to manage tight timelines and potentially stressful, shifting priorities and deadlines.
· Strong customer service skills and genuine enjoyment of frequent contact with colleagues and customers via email, over the phone, and in person.
· Ability to handle customer issues and questions in a positive manner, creating a positive experience for the customers with HOL products and services.
· Experience in achieving or exceeding client and company customer service expectations.
· Exposure to a small, growing company environment and culture.
General Skills and Desired Qualities:
· Passion for effective science education and serving students’ and educators’ needs.
· Sense of humor, high energy, a positive “can do” attitude, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
· Familiarity with online teaching platforms and best practices. Online science education teaching experience preferred.
· Creative and compelling writing style combined with technical writing skills.
· Creative thinking abilities which can contribute to the vision and design of products.
· Above average listening skills and ability to deal with difficult people and customer service issues while maintaining a positive attitude toward customers, both internal and external.
· Understanding of basic business processes and those of academic institutions including Product Development, Course Development, and/or Project Management.
· Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, frequently changing working environment and company structure.
· Aptitude to quickly learn company products, services, and general operations.
· Ability to translate scientific and educational information into customer solutions – in writing, in person, or over the phone.
· Self-motivated and self-directed with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Considerate and congenial personality that enjoys collaborating with colleagues and working in teams
· Occasional travel may be required for client presentations and academic conferences.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus and quickly read materials both in paper print and on a computer screen.
· The employee is required to talk and use listening skills, both in person and over the phone, on a daily basis.
· The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, or walk.
· The employee is occasionally required to walk up and down stairs of various numbers and levels while carrying up to 50 pounds.
· The employee must be able to lift, push, and pull 50 pounds occasionally and up to 20 pounds frequently.
· The employee must be able to type and clearly see and read from a computer monitor.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to normal office noise.
· The majority of employee’s time is sitting at a computer, answering phone, and typing documents into computer.
· The employee is required to follow safety protocols at all times, especially when dealing with micro-scale chemicals.