The City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department is hiring a full-time, permanent Education and Volunteer Coordinator, please help us spread the word to anyone you think would be interested. The deadline to apply is 3 p.m. on 11/14/17.
Coordinates the Natural Areas Department’s large and diverse volunteer program.
Plans, organizes, directs, administers, and evaluates programs related to natural areas, environmental education, public information, marketing, and public involvement. Coordinates programming, including school field trips.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position, and are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Works to increase recognition and deepen awareness and support of natural areas, natural area values, the Natural Areas Department itself, and its vision and mission.
- Engages community members by planning, implementing, coordinating, and evaluating a variety of creative and inspiring volunteer opportunities, activities, media, and programs that connect people to the outdoors.
- Manages administrative and field logistics of Master Naturalist volunteer-led field trips for young people.
- Develops, revises, teaches, and evaluates field trip lessons for PreK-12th grade audiences that meet Poudre School District standards, engage students, are age appropriate and culturally-relevant, and take advantage of the natural area setting.
- Teaches volunteers to lead the field trips, mentors and evaluates volunteer-educators through in-person and written feedback.
- Delivers presentations to a diversity of audiences on a variety of natural areas topics.
- Manages educational materials and lesson kits.
- Serves as the Natural Areas Department Volunteer Coordinator including recruiting, community and relationship-building, interviewing, placing, coordinating, recognizing and appreciating, evaluating, and managing a large corps of volunteers (over 1,000 participants, annually). Trains volunteers. Maintains electronic volunteer records, develops, implements, and evaluates volunteer policies and procedures, job descriptions, and standards of service. Disciplines volunteers as required according to policy. Coordinates with City-wide volunteer management staff and initiatives.
- Leads or participates on committees to produce special events including planning, implementation, and evaluation. Coordinates department participation in community events.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates programs that specifically engage underserved audiences through culturally-relevant and inclusive activities and professional relationship-building.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates trainings focused on environmental education, diversity, inclusion, and interpretation for teachers, volunteers, or other community members.
- Closely collaborates with temporary employees.
- Participates as a positive, contributing member of the Natural Areas Education Team, gives constructive input on work planning, hiring, and budget preparation.
- May support public engagement processes using International Association for Public Participation concepts, tools, and practices to inform natural areas policy and regulations.
- May design, implement, manage, and evaluate communication, interpretation, volunteer, and marketing materials in print, online, on signage, in social media, via video, and through other channels. May create and maintain webpages using a content management system and basic html coding.
- May actively solicit, write, and manage grants.
BENEFIT CATEGORY: Classified (Non-CBU) View Classifications & Benefits
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time Regular
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $48,174.00 – 67,444.00 (Salaries are paid biweekly)
City of Fort Collins
Natural Areas Department
Community Relations Manager
P.O. Box 580, Fort Collins, CO 80522