Pitkin County Open Space & Trails (OST) is hiring for a Seasonal Ranger to join our resource protection team in Aspen, CO and work from mid-April to late-October. The primary duties are listed below:
- Patrols OST properties and trails; educates the public on local habitats, history, and recreation opportunities; fields questions from trail users on a wide variety of topics; acts as a public representative of OST.
- Contacts individuals in violation of Pitkin County OST codes; informs the public of OST related regulations; enforces codes with verbal and written warnings; issues penalty assessments as appropriate.
- Coordinates with local law enforcement, USFS law enforcement, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers when necessary to address enforcement and public safety issues; documents code violations for incident reports and appears in court as required.
- Documents enforcement contacts, resource damage, and first response incidents with comprehensive reports; participates in maintaining records database.
- Responds to medical emergencies and accidents on OST properties and trails; provides emergency care; coordinates with local EMS agencies in emergency responses; investigates cases.
- Supports the relationship between Pitkin County government and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and County staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and County information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
Associate’s Degree preferred; AND one year of experience in code enforcement or law enforcement; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record.
- CPR and First Aid Certified.
- Certified Wilderness First Responder or Emergency Medical Technician (Basic Level) preferred.
- Must complete self-defense training and OC Certification
HIRING RANGE: $21.02 – $24.71 hourly
The Seasonal Ranger will work weekends and holidays to help OST protect the environment and the public. This is an exciting opportunity to engage in challenging and meaningful work in the Roaring Fork Valley. Housing is not provided.
Interested candidates can apply on the Pitkin County jobs webpage.