Good Monday Morning COSA!
I am pleased to announce the City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department is hiring a Natural Areas Ranger. This position has a residence requirement at our Gateway Natural Area: https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/finder/gateway. We are looking for an individual with a demonstrated passion and commitment to land, water, and wildlife conservation.
We are on a tight timeline: Application deadline is 3:00 p.m. MT on 1/22/2021.
To apply please visit: https://fcgov.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/8/home/requisition/2566?c=fcgov
Description provided below….
Ranger Program Manager
City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department
Natural Areas Rangers conducts patrol of City natural areas and recreation trails to enforce City Municipal code and Natural Areas regulations. Works as part of integrated team to protect natural resource values and ensure visitor safety through regulation compliance and best management practices. Applicant must have a demonstrated passion and commitment to land, water, and wildlife conservation.
This is a Sworn, Protective Services position supervised by the Natural Areas Department. Candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be required to successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation through City of Fort Collins Police Services. Candidates are expected and required to be 100% truthful and forthcoming during the background investigation. Failure to do so will result in elimination from the hiring process.
HIRING STANDARD: Applicants must have and maintain acceptable background information including criminal conviction history, credit history, motor vehicle record, hunting violation, and/or other natural resource violation.
The Natural Areas Ranger will perform a variety of tasks in the operation and management of Gateway Natural Area (50%) and conducting patrol at other City of Fort Collins Natural Areas (50%). Living on site at Gateway Natural Area (located approx. 30 miles north of Fort Collins) is required as part of this position. The residence is a 5 bedroom/3 bath single-family home. Monthly rent is subsidized in exchange for off-hour security responsibilities.
Successful candidate will function as primary ranger responsible for the operation and code enforcement for Gateway Natural Area. In addition to performing law enforcement and visitor management duties, the ranger will also share responsibilities for light maintenance duties including restroom maintenance, trash removal, picnic shelter maintenance, and snow removal. Prepares and reports quarterly revenue and visitation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
City of Fort Collins Municipal Code enforcement:
· Enforces City municipal code and civil citations within natural areas, city trails, and other City property. Issues warnings or citations to violators.
· Responds to and mitigates multi-use conflicts. Employs conflict resolution techniques.
· Coordinates law enforcement activities with City of Fort Collins, Larimer County Sheriff, and other law enforcement agencies when necessary.
· Maintains records of illegal activities and produces reports as needed.
· Testifies in Municipal Court in support of (issued) citations when necessary.
· Assists with criminal investigations in natural areas and along the trails at the request of local law enforcement.
· Exhibits situational recognition of circumstances requiring assistance from an armed officer.
Ecological Awareness & Natural Area Management:
· Implements resource damage prevention strategies in natural areas and along trails.
· Monitors wildlife activity and ecological changes that informs site management.
· Monitors trail conditions and implements trail protection strategies.
· Participates in management planning and other departmental projects.
· Participates in aspects of prescribed burning and wildfire control as requested.
Visitor Services & Education:
· Ensures the safety of all visitors.
· Educates natural area visitors on appropriate recreational uses, safety, and the importance of protecting wildlife habitat, wildlife, rare plants, and other important natural resources.
· Responds to reports of injured visitors and provides medical assistance as needed.
· Speaks to visitors and various community groups regarding the function of the ranger program and how protection of visitors and natural features are accomplished in natural areas.
· Performs minor maintenance to fences, gates, signs, trail, kiosks, etc. as necessary.
· Occasionally may assist or oversee the work of volunteers.