Dear Natural Resource Professionals,
We are pleased to announce 5 full-time classified openings with the City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department. These positions are responsible for weed control, restoration maintenance, and wildlife habitat improvement projects. It’s a great fit for someone looking to build experience and skills in the natural resources field.
Responsible for restoration and maintenance of city natural areas. Work includes but is not limited to, vegetation and wildlife management, wildlife and vegetation monitoring, and general maintenance of Natural Areas property or habitat enhancements. This position is field based and will work outside for 12 months out of the year, in all weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cooperate with other crew members to complete tasks.
- Safely apply herbicides to control noxious weeds.
- Safely apply insecticides to protect prairie dogs from plague.
- Manage vegetation through mowing, cutting, and other techniques.
- Use chainsaws and chippers to remove unwanted trees.
- Complete “ranch hand” type work such as fixing fence or stock tanks.
- Operate equipment and vehicles such as mowers, trucks, sprayers, etc.
- Assist with volunteer projects as needed.
- Plant, water, and provide aftercare of native plants.
- Remove trash and litter from natural areas.
- Will help with wildlife monitoring projects, sometimes working an overnight shift.
- Will help with plant identification and monitoring.
- Will support the Resource Management Crew with other needs that may arise.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Willingness to learn new skills related to natural resources.
- Willingness to support a safe work environment.
- Ability to work on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use basic hand and power tools.
- Ability to use a variety of automotive and power equipment (including ATVs).
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Basic knowledge of computers, and other standard office equipment.
- Ability to obtain a Colorado Department of Agriculture Pesticide Applicator’s License (study materials and time will be provided. Requires passing a multiple-choice test. Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure employee is successful.)
If you would like to work for a group that is involved with protecting and restoring nature in a city that is celebrated for its outdoor spaces, this might be the job for you. We are now taking applications and the job will remain open until 12/21/2021.
Apply today for this incredible opportunity!
Resource Management Crew Chief