The Natural Areas Conference is coming to Colorado October 10-12, 2017. This is only the second time the conference has been held in the state in its 44-year history. This is an opportunity to highlight the great work conservationists and natural areas managers are engaged in and honor those who have contributed significantly to conservation and natural areas management in the state of Colorado through the George B. Fell award and the Carl N. Becker award! 2017 Nominations have been extended to June 2nd! Please don’t miss this opportunity to honor our state’s great conservation heroes!
Below is a description of the awards. Nomination forms are attached to this email. Remember, the deadline for nominations is Friday, June 2nd! Awards will be presented at the conference banquet in Fort Collins.
George B. Fell Award
The George B. Fell Award is the Natural Areas Association’s highest award. It honors an individual for exceptional accomplishments in the natural areas profession. It recognizes an individual’s exceptional contributions to research, methods, education or policy that advance knowledge in the identification, protection and stewardship of natural areas
This award is given in memory of George B. Fell, a founding Natural Areas Association member and officer. Also a founder of the Natural Land Institute, Fell dedicated his life to the protection of natural areas.
This award recognizes individuals who exhibit the qualities exemplified by Fell, including:
- Life-long dedication and commitment to research, methods, education and policy that advance knowledge of the identification, protection and stewardship of natural areas
- Creativity in finding solutions to problems that hinder the identification, protection and stewardship of natural areas
- The ability to forge new approaches and partnerships that significantly improve natural area protection
- Sustained or ongoing individual achievement in the natural area profession
- A record of accomplishments that have significantly improved science, education or policy related to natural areas
- The highest standards of personal and professional integrity
Carl N. Becker Stewardship Award
The Carl N. Becker Stewardship Award recognizes excellence and achievement in managing reserves, parks, wilderness and other protected areas. It is given in memory of Carl N. Becker, former Natural Areas Association president and a conservation leader. Award recipients may be individuals or groups who have been instrumental in finding solutions for problems related to natural areas protection.
This award recognizes individuals or groups who have:
- Made a significant contribution to finding solutions for problems related to identification, protection or management of natural areas
- Developed or improved strategies that directly contributed to resolution of issues related to natural areas
- Contributed to major advances in the protection of natural areas
From 2001 to 2004, the Becker Award was simply known as the Stewardship Award. It was renamed the Carl N. Becker Award in 2005.
Senior Environmental Planner
City of Fort Collins
Natural Areas Department